The priest Don Abbondio crowns Renzo and Lucia love in his church.
In Lecco there are two churches ascribable to Don Abbondio: the church of Saints Vitale and Valeria in Olate (chiesa dei Ss. Vitale e Valeria) and the church of Saint George (chiesa di san Giorgio) in Acquate.
According to tradition the church in Olate, very close to Lucia’s house, is the sacred place where Don Abbondio celebrates the marriage of Renzo and Lucia.
Church of Saints Mm. Vitale and Valeria – Olate
The church is characterized by different architectural and stylistic elements from different periods: part of the bell tower is fourteenth-century, the nave was built in 1765 and then prolonged in 1934, when the baroque façade was restored.
Church of St. George the Martyr – Acquate
Established in 1232 and expanded several times, it becomes parish in the fifteenth century and in the eighteenth century was considered for its grandeur the most important church and the oldest one of Lecco. The current building’s appearance is the project design by Eng. Adriano Gazzari of Castello in Lecco.
On the entrance wall you see the remarkable organ “Morelli”, donated to the parish by the viceroy Maximilian of Austria in 1858.
Cover image: illustration darft for the edition of The Betrothed dated 1840 Library Braidense
The besieged, seeing that the enemy gave no signs of retreat, opened a window which looked out upon the churchyard, and cried, “Help, help!” The moon shone brightly—every object could be clearly discerned as in the day; but a deep repose rested over all—there was no indication of a living soul. Contiguous to the church, and on that side of it which fronted the parsonage, was a small habitation in which slept the sexton.
Chiesa Santi Vitali e Valeria Piazza SS. Vitale e Valeria – 23900 Lecco
Chiesa San Giorgio Martire Piazza Sagrato don Abbondio – 23900 Lecco