Colico – Lecco
Discovering Colico and its Fort Montecchio Nord:
the best preserved military fort of the First World War in Europe
The military Fort of Montecchio in Colico was built here due to its strategic location, near the crossroads of Fuentes: crossroads to Switzerland, through Val Chiavenna and Spluga, to Trentino Alto Adige (then Austria) through Valtellina and then the Stelvio pass. The Fort would have had to close the route towards the south, the one that leads to Milan.
Not far away are the remains of Forte of Fuentes dated back to the Seventh-century.
Built between 1912 and 1914 Forte Montecchio Nord is one of the most modern battleship artillery installations, type “Rocchi”, of the First World War in Europe.
The area includes two parade grounds: a lower and an upper, a main body and the battery, a concrete-clad building in San Fedelino granite, divided into two floors. On the first floor is located the generator (a generator with smoke abatement system), and some stores, while the second floor is the control room in addition to the armored domes of the four cannons 149S: still maintained in full working order by the Museo della Guerra Bianca and could shoot accurately more than 14 kilometers away.
At Forte you can also visit the powder-magazine, sixty meters into the mountain, which is connected to the battery with an armored corridor.
Forte Montecchio Nord is a cultural heritage of immense value to the Lecco area and is a symbol of the Cadorna Line, more correctly the North Frontier Line, positioned to defend the borders of Lombardy from Varese to the Stelvio Pass.
In addition to its military aspect, the fort will be stunned for the beautiful landscapes and views on Lake Como and the mountains of Valtellina and Val Chiavenna and the beautiful nature reserve of Pian di Spagna.
Cover’s image: Ph. Emilio BuzzellaBUY NOW YOUR TICKET by Viator
- JUNE / only Saturday and Sunday / from 10 to 18
guided tours every hour from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.: please arrive at least 10 minutes before
- JULY and AUGUST / from Monday to Sunday / from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
– days: 1 – 2 – 3 – 6 – 7 – 8 – 9 – 10 / from 2 to 6 p.m.
– Saturday and Sunday / from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- OCTOBER / Saturday and Sunday only / from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- full ticket (adults): € 8.00
- reduced ticket (children from 6 to 17 years): € 5.00
- free ticket (children up to 5 years, Museum Members): free
- CONVENTION ticket (affiliated entities, Friends of the Museum and the Fort): according to the agreement
- cumulative ticket (Forte Montecchio and Forte di Fuentes): FULL ticket (adults) € 11.00 REDUCED (children from 6 to 17 years) € 6.00
- by train: from Milan, Lecco, Sondrio Trenord lines, stop at Colico station. the fort is located 10 minutes from the station on foot.
- by car:
from Milan and Lecco – take S.S. 36 towards Sondrio, exit Piona. Here take SP72 (Via Nazionale) towards Colico-Sondrio. Immediately after the center and the Colico railway station turn left and then proceed under the railway underpass to get out onto Viale Padania. Cross the intersection with Viale Padania and take Via delle Torri. After 500m you will find the entrance of the fort at number 8.
from Sondrio: take S.S. 38 Stelvio towards Milan until the “Trivio Fuentes”, crossing of roads to Lecco-Milan, Como, Chiavenna. Here take SP72 (Via Nazionale Nord) that leads to Colico and continue for 3 km until the intersection with Via Monteggiolo, which on the right leads to the railway bridge, where a bend leads to Viale Padania. After 400m turn right in via tdelle Torri. After 500m you will find the entrance of the fort at number 8.
Forte Montecchio Nord Via alle Torri 8, 23823 Colico – Lecco
Articolo aggiornato il 6 June 2021 da eccoLecco