Neoclassic style by Bovara for the basilica of Lecco, with its bell tower standing out against the town.
The basilica of St. Nicholas (Basilica di San Nicolò), patron saint of Lecco, sailors and boatmen, is placed close to the lake promenade, at the eastern side of the historic center of Lecco, just behind Piazza Cermenati.
It was built on the remains of the old town walls surrounding Lecco since from the 13th century. Nowadays some parts are still visible if you are in the near basilica’s parking.
Symbol of the basilica of St. Nicholas and of Lecco town too is its neo-Gothic bell tower, with its 96 metres, called “big pencil” (matitone), built between 1902 and 1904 on the round bastion dated back to the 15th century.
The façade has a typical Neoclassical style with the fronton supported by Corinthian columns dated back to 1774, while the entire project of the basilica’s structure belongs to the local architect Giuseppe Bovara (19th century). Its plan was developed during 1831-1862 giving us the actual appearance.
Basilica’s structure – three naves: the bigger central one with barrel vault ends with a semicircular apse, surrounded by a women’s gallery, two smaller ones on each side.
Artworks – in the chapel (on the right wall), the ancient part of the 13th century basilica, hosts interesting frescoes dated back to the 14th century depicting scenes of the Life and Death of Jesus and a great series about the life of St. Anthony Abbott on its vault. This chapel also host the baptismal font of 1596.
More recent the paintings along the central nave by artists who worked in Lecco and Brianza area: ten square frames depicting episodes of the Gospel by Casimiro Radice and 14 bronze panels representing the Via Crucis by Enrico Manfrini, who created the Doors of Mercy.
Accommodation in Lecco
Articolo aggiornato il 14 July 2020 da eccoLecco