Lecco Mountaineering Observatory is a modern and interactive museum to discover the history and the men who made great Lecco mountaineering traditions.
Lecco Mountaineering Observatory is housed on the top floor of the Palace of Fears (Palazzo delle Paure), in the center of Lecco in the historic Piazza XX Settembre.
When we talk about Lecco it is inevitable to think of our mountains and mountaineers that have made them famous all over the world.
Lecco Mountaineering Observatory is a modern and interactive museum with multimedia technology which presents the history of mountaineering from its beginnings to the present day.
The museum is structured to allow the visitor to discover the different aspects of the mountain world: seven different locations show the close link among Lecco, its mountains and the men that have marked and done the history of mountaineering.
Next to some memorabilia, among which stands out the red sweater of Ragni of Lecco, which tell us how the materials have evolved over time, we find different “stations”:
- screens that reconstruct the events of mountaineering of Lecco from its origins to the present, thanks to interviews with the protagonists and historical footage,
- an interactive three-dimensional model depicting our territory between Lake Como and the surrounding mountains,
- an interactive planisphere showing the different world expeditions of Lecco climbers,
- and certainly it’s original the library in the rock: so many cards with different topics and themes that placed on the reader allow the visitor to read, zoom, scroll between the tabs on a large screen. A very personal and fully interactive multimedia way to discover Lecco mountaineering.
Lecco, mountains and … Riccardo Cassin peeping on the wall full of images showing us the story and the characters of our mountaineering. Riccardo Cassin had his beloved Grignetta as a climbing gym and Lecco Mountaineering Observatory allows you to experience the vertical dimension thanks to an artificial climbing wall with different levels of difficulty marked by different colored blocks.
If you come to Lecco you cannot miss a visit to this museum, which makes us proud to live in a territory rich in culture and traditions. Not only lake Como but our surrounding mountains tell us about our land identity.
The Lecco Mountaineering Observatory belongs to Si.M.U.L., the urban museum system, allowing you to visit Villa Manzoni and Palazzo Belgiojoso with a cumulative ticket.
Wednesday: 14:00 – 18:00
Thursday and Friday: 10:00 – 13:00 | 14:00 – 18:00
Special reduction: € 2
How to access and visit the museum
- You have to come with the confirmation of your reservation, either on paper or digital.
- It’s mandatory to wear a mask.
- Before entering the museum, your temperature will be measured using a thermo-scanner: entry will be allowed with a value lower than 37.5 ° (celsius).
- At the entrance, disinfect your hands using the sanitizing gel dispenser.
- Respect the safety rules indicated by the signs or by the staff.
- Always keep at least a meter and a half from you and other people (visitors and museum staff).
- An excessive presence of visitors (for each room) will not be allowed.
- Always follow the one-way visit routes indicated inside the museum.
Piazza XX Settembre, 22 – 23900 Lecco
Articolo aggiornato il 10 February 2021 da eccoLecco