Villa del Balbianello, one of the most enchanting villa on Lake Como. On the promontory of Lenno, Tremezzina, Villa del Balbianello is worth a visit.
Villa del Balbianello: the most well-known villa of Lake Como
Come and visit it!
Villa del Balbianello was built during the end of the 18th century by Cardinal Angelo Maria Durini’s wish on the ruins of a Franciscan Monastery, whose facade is nowadays visible. It has many owners to the last one, the count Guido Monzino, who restored it and enriched with his collections. After his death, the Villa was transferred, on owner’s willingness, to FAI – Fondo Ambiente Italiano.
Villa Balbaniello welcomes its guests by a motto engraved into the floor of the portico saying “Fay ce que voudras” (“Do what you want”), a perfect description of the spirit of this wonderful place.
The complex is constituted by the Villa, the Loggia, the Library, the Sala dei Primitivi, the Museo delle spedizioni and the garden-park.
The Sala dei Primitivi hosts a rich collection of Chinese, African and pre-Columbian art, alongside 18th-century English and French furniture, while instead the Museo delle spedizioni collects memorabilia of Monzino’s expedition to Everest and the North Pole, among which the sleigh.
From the Loggia you can admire breath taking views on Lake Como.
Villa del Balbianello is so elegant also thanks to its terraced gardens, where you can walk along its paths, surrounded by statues, wisterias and great plane trees pruned as big candlesticks. You can also stand in its lush gardens with hedges of box and laurel, and see in its park holm oaks, magnolias, cypresses, plus bushes of azaleas and rhododendrons.
Cover’s image: Ph. Roberto Valsecchi
Villa del Balbianello as film set
Villa Balbianello has been the set for many films, among which:
- Piccolo mondo antico by Mario Soldati (1940)
- La Certosa di Parma by Christian-Jaque (1947)
- Jackpot by Mario Orfini (1992)
- Un mese al lago by John Irvin (1995)
- the second episode of Star Wars saga (2002)
- Casinò Royale by Martin Campbell with the charming James Bond.
Villa del Balbianello: opening times
- From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- 5.15 p.m. / Last entrance to the Garden
- 4.30 p.m. / Last entrance to visit the interiors of the Villa, with a 45 minute guided tour.
We recommend visitors to arrive no later than 4 p.m.
Closed on Monday and Wednesday, except for festive days
CLOSED on December, 25th
Villa del Balbianello: tickets
- Self-guided tour, which takes about 45/50 minutes.
- Adults: € 11
- Children (6-18): € 6
- National Trust Members and Students (< 25): € 9
- Free for FAI Members and residents of Tremezzina.
Garden + Villa
It is possible to visit the Interiors of the Villa only with guided tour, lasting c. 45 minutes.
- Adults: € 22
- Children (6-18): € 12
- National Trust Members and Students (< 25): € 16
- FAI Members and residents of Tremezzina: € 4
- The visits are made in groups of max 10 people in Italian and English, without reservation.
- We don’t have time schedule: you can ask at our ticket office availability and time.
- We suggest you to come before 4.00 p.m.
- Due to Covid, the places available for guided tours have been reduced: the guided tour of the interior is not guaranteed.
- The visit of the park is always guaranteed.
Dogs are welcome in all FAI goods.
Please held your dog with leash while you’re walking in the garden, inside only guide or small dogs to be kept in your arms or into the proper special pet carrier.
How to get to Villa del Balbianello
- On foot
Villa del Balbianello is in walking distance (approximately 1 km) of Lenno, with an uphill stretch. It is a 25 minutes walk.
- By water
It is possible to reach the Villa by water, using the taxiboat service provided on the Lido of Lenno.
- By coach
Coach SPT C10 operates a regular service between Como and Lenno. Once arrived in Lenno, continue on foot or by taxiboat.
- By train
Como Lago Railway Station. The service is operated by Trenord, for further information on the timetables see their website.
Central Lake Como / Where to stay: find your accommodation
Villa del Balbianello: where is it?
Address: Via Guido Monzino, 1, 22016 Tremezzo CO
Articolo aggiornato il 6 June 2021 da eccoLecco