Villa Manzoni in Lecco
Summer residence and inspiration source for Manzoni to write The Betrothed.
Villa Manzoni is very close to Lecco downtown and belonged to Manzoni family from 1615 until 1818, when the writer Alessandro Manzoni sold it to Scola family, who transferred the property to the Municipality of Lecco in sixties.
Villa Manzoni is built around a portico courtyard and has a typical Neoclassic structure, with a façade decorated with sandstone moldings. On the right side there is a park, nowadays smaller the original one, cultivated with mulberries, used to breed silkworms.
This villa was the summer residence for the young Manzoni who was used to spend his summer time here. He was impressed by the beautiful nature environment characterizing Lecco: its marvelous lake surrounded by mountains and Adda River. A scenario he chose to set his masterpiece The Betrothed, the troubled love story between the young Lucia and Renzo.
Nowadays Villa Manzoni is a house museum. With an unique ticket you may visit:
Ground floor – Manzonian Museum hosting manuscripts and memorabilia of Alessandro Manzoni’s life and works, and the original furnishings belonged to the writer.
First floor – Civic Art Gallery hosting a selection of artwork belonging to artistic collection of Civic Museums of Lecco. You can admire 400 paintings and 2000 engravings.
Villa Manzoni belongs to Si.M.U.L., the museum system of Lecco, and thanks to the cumulative ticket you can visit also Palazzo delle Paure with the Osservatorio Alpinistico Lecchese (Lecco Mountaineering Observatory) and the three museums hosted at Palazzo Belgiojoso.
Villa Manzoni / Opening time 2023
- Monday: closed
- Tuesday: from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Wednesday to Sunday: from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- All poles closed: 1 January, Easter, 1 May, 25-26 December
- Open: Easter Monday
Villa Manzoni / Rates 2023
- full: € 6.00
- ordinary reduced ticket: € 4.00
- special reduced: € 2.00
- cumulative full ticket*: € 8.00
- reduced cumulative ticket*: € 6.00
- special reduced cumulative ticket*: € 4.00
* valid for 30 days from issue
Reduced single and reduced cumulative tickets
- Citizens residing in the Municipality of Lecco
- Groups of more than 8 people
- Children under 18 and over 65
- University students holding the University Student Card
- Members of associations affiliated with the Municipality of Lecco in good standing with the annual fee
- FAI and TCI members with valid card
- Visitors to individual museums, when they are only partially accessible
- Visitors in possession of the “Great Exhibitions” ticket that take place at Palazzo delle Paure for both the single ticket and the cumulative ticket
- Wow Card holders
Special reduced single ticket
- Admission to exhibitions organized in collaboration with other municipal services or associations or primary and secondary schools of first degree in Lecco or at Villa Manzoni during the planned renovations of the Manzoniano Museum
- One companion for every fifteen people
- Disabled people and their companion
- ICOM (International Council of Museum) members with valid card
- Children under the age of 6
- Participants in the educational activities organized by Si.M.U.L. or by other entities, in collaboration with the Municipality of Lecco
- Holders of the Lombardy Milan Museums Subscription Card and valid extra formula
- Inauguration of exhibitions and installations or other special events
- Journalists with a valid identification card
- Children aged 6 to 18 or Over 65
- University students with a card
- pre-established groups of adults over 15 people
- FAI and TCI members with a valid card
Special reduced ticket
- Disabled visitors with a companion
- Journalists with a valid card
Where is Villa Manzoni?
Villa Manzoni Via Don Guanella, 1 – 23900 Lecco – Italy
Accommodation in Lecco
Articolo aggiornato il 4 October 2023 da eccoLecco