Bellagio – Lake Como
Villa Melzi d’Eril in Bellagio Italy amazes for its park and spectacular gardens overlooking Lake Como
Villa Melzi is one the most prestigious villa of Lake Como and a symbol of Bellagio.
It has a spectacular and wide park, where you can enjoy the temperate climate surrounded by trees and flowers.
Walking in the garden you meet rare exotic plants, centuries-old trees, hedges of camellias, azaleas, giant rhododendrons and architectural environment and furnishings: the Etrurian urn dated back to the 3rd century B.C., two Egyptian sculptures of 8th and 9th century B.C. in the lake of the Nymphs, the famous group of marble statues with Dante and Beatrice, which inspired the musician Lizst for its Sonata to Dante.
On the lake promenade the Family’s Chapel where the Melzi’s family remains is.
Villa Melzi was built between 1808 and 1810 for Duke Francesco Melzi d’Eril, Duke of Lodi and vice president of the Italian Republic with Napoleon. Nowadays the villa is still a private residence.
Its façade is very simple, enriched by a staircase with double flights adorned by four Egyptian style lions.
The old “orangeries” now hosts the museum where precious relics and engravings of the Napoleonic period are collected together with archeological collections, paintings and memorabilia belonged to Melzi’s family.
Cover image © Emilio Buzzella
Opening times 2023
The Gardens of Villa Melzi are open to the public every day from 10.00 to 19.00 (last admission at 18.30) FROM 25 MARCH 2023 TO THE END OF OCTOBER.
Please note that the Gardens will close in the event of extremely adverse weather conditions to ensure the safety of visitors.
Reservations are not required to access the Gardens, entrance tickets can be purchased on site on the day of the visit in cash or by credit card.
Day tickets are valid for one full day and allow visitors to enter and leave the Gardens without limitations over the course of the day they are purchased for; entrance to the Gardens, the Museum and the Chapel is included in the ticket.
- Adults (day ticket): 8.00 euros
- Children aged 11 and under (day ticket): free of charge
- Groups minimum of 15 people (day ticket): 6.50 euros per member of the group
- School groups (day ticket): 5.00 euros
- Season pass: 50.00 euros
To subscribe for a season pass, send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Payment at the ticket office can be made by cash, debit card, credit card or bank transfer.
Services available in the Gardens
- Almost all of the Gardens area is accessible to visitors with limited mobility. The Gardens Staff is available to offer access support for the areas without facilitated access (Museum, Chapel). There are toilets for visitors with disabilities. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us regarding any doubts you have and to plan your visit, we will be happy to do everything necessary to make your time with us as pleasant as possible.
- Comfortable shoes and clothing are recommended.
- Dogs are welcome in the Gardens, but must be kept on a leash, and we remind dog owners to come prepared to dispose of all droppings themselves.
- Bicycles and scooters are not allowed in the Gardens.
- Visitors will find a number of restaurants and cafes at an easy walking/driving distance from the Gardens.
- Tickets are valid for one full day. Ticket holders can enter and exit the Gardens without limitations over the course of the day the ticket is purchased for.
Villa Melzi: how to get here
From Como, follow the directions for strada statale SS583 in the direction of Bellagio.
From Lecco, follow the directions for strada statale SS583-SP583 in the direction of Bellagio.
Parking can be found in the vicinity of the Gardens on Lungolario Manzoni road, or in the neighbouring village of Loppia, just a short walk away.
For more information about parking click here
Trains leave Zurich Main Station every hour for Como.
If you are coming from Milan, on the other hand, you can choose the Milano-Como-Bellagio leg leaving from Milano Centrale or the Milano-Como leg from the Stazione Forrovie Nord for Como, and then take a bus or a ferry for Bellagio.
By bus or ferry
To reach Bellagio from Como, you have two options:
1. From Piazzale della stazione (Station Square) in Como you can take one of the frequent buses for Bellagio (there are 10 departures per day).
2. From Como train station you can reach the ferry terminal in ten minutes. From there you can take one of the frequent ferries or hydrofoils for Bellagio.
Where is Villa Melzi?
Accommodation in Bellagio
Articolo aggiornato il 23 March 2023 da eccoLecco