The church of SS. Gottardo and Colombano in Arlate stands on a hill overlooking the Adda River and is few minutes far from the Shrine of Madonna del Bosco in Imbersago.
The church of SS. Gottardo and Colombano in Arlate stands on a hill overlooking the valley of the Adda river and is located a few minutes from the shrine of Madonna del Bosco.
The monastery of Arlate is a perfect example of Romanesque, whose first mention is dated back to 1162.
The building was the former home of the Benedictine community of nuns of the Abbey of Pontida and its construction dates back to the early 1100.
Over the years he has undergone alterations, especially in the sixteenth century where the bell tower and the vestry incorporating the two side chapels were built on the behest of Cardinal Carlo Borromeo.
In the Napoleonic era the church was acquired by the state before being bought by the last nuns’ chaplain who created the benefit for the new parish.
From the architectural point of view the church of Ss. Gottardo and Colombano, accessible by a staircase, has three naves with a trussed roof and square pillars. The façade is characterized by pilasters, which reflect the internal tripartition. The line of the portal and single-facet windows is simple and on the façade a Greek cross window is clearly visible.
On the semi-dome of the central apse, originally frescoed, you can partially see a fresco of Christ Pantocrator, dated around the end of the thirteenth century.
Visits are possible every third Sunday of the month from March to October with free guided tour (by reservation) at 15:00
Cover image: eccoLecco
Church of SS. Gottardo and Colombano Via Parrocchiale, 41 – 23885 Arlate LC