This church in Bellano offers Gothic elegance and great frescoes dated back to the fifteenth and sixteenth century
The church of Sts. Nazaro and Celso in piazza San Giorgio in Bellano was built around the middle of the sixteenth-century with elegant Gothic lines.
It has a monumental façade with alternated white and black marble lines hosts a big rose window made of glass and terracotta. Between the rose and the gate there is the Gothic niche enriched by the great marble statue dedicated to St. Ambrogio, nowadays hosted inside.
It has three naves and has been subject of many restoration’s interventions, especially after the visit of St. Charles to who is due the realization of the sacristy and the bell tower in 1567.
Greatest the frescoes dated to the fifteenth and sixteenth century the church hosts, among which a polyptych depicting the life of St. John the Baptist (1525-1530) by unknown, but very close to the influences from Veneto and beyond the Alps.
The importance of this church is also due to the precious processional Cross dated back to the late Gothic age, a wall tabernacle of the fifteenth-century, the marble Baptistery and the carved wooden confessionals of the seventeenth-century.
Articolo aggiornato il 4 October 2023 da eccoLecco