Crocodiles in the vallo delle mura? Oh no, these are the city walls of Lecco dated back to fourteenth-century
Azzone Visconti rebuilt Lecco during 1330-1340. The visible part of the city walls near Via Bovara are traces of the fortified village he wanted and then the Spanish strengthened in the sixteenth-century.
The fortified village of Lecco had a triangular shape city walls with three access points to the village: one was in Vicolo della Torre near Torre Viscontea, another one at the top of via Bovara near the visible traces of the city walls (Porta di Vianova) and the third one (Porta Santo Stefano) on the lake’s shore few steps far from the Basilica of San Nicolò whose bell tower was a bastion built under Spanish domination.
The city walls still kept intact until 1782 when Austrian emperors decided they had to be razed. Since the end of eighteenth-century Lecco took its path to become a town.
You can freely walk around the vallo delle mura and feel the history that signed Lecco.
Immagine di copertina: © eccoLecco
Vallo delle Mura Largo Montenero – 23900 Lecco